About Me

I am a 35-year old wife and mother. I work as a V.R. Counselor II for Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Currently, I am also a Distance Education graduate student at Auburn University working on my master's in Rehabilitation Counseling.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

New Hobby

My husband and I are getting into the whole right to bare arms and have fun at the firing range philosophy. The top link is to my new revolver. I thought hard about the 9mms, but this made sense as a first gun for self-defense. The pistols are fun to shoot at the range, but the revolvers are a lot easier to load with less chance of an awkward misfire at an in oportune time. Besides, I can shoot his pistol at the range, too!!! He owns the one found at the second link. We are going shooting tomorrow at the range where next Sunday we are taking a gun course required to apply for carry permits.

http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Undercover_Lite.html

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=157&category=Pistol

This all started as a Christmas gift to my husband because he had been wanting us to rent guns at a range and target shoot for a long time. He enjoys reading the right to carry weapons laws (yeah...he loves the Discover Channel, too) and the various websites out there. I have always wanted to go to the range, but it scared me to think of having guns at home. Now, I am a little more leery of NOT having some personal and family protection other than my baseball bat. Plus I travel alone a lot for work, so having one available in the car makes sense, too.

We have already begun teaching our son about guns. He has permission to ask us to see either of our weapons at any time. We'll show them to him and let him hold them unloaded. He knows that they are not to be touched without one of us handing them to him. He knows that they are not pretend guns and will hurt or kill in real life and not like on television. He may be a little young to fully grasp the concepts, but he is very smart. We show him some of our used targets (and the holes in them). His daddy gives him little random pop quizzes about what to do and not do around our guns. Naturally, we put them out of his sight and reach, but we don't want him to be curious about them and think that they are something to sneak looks (or worse) at later. I know that he will grow up to respect guns and treat them responsibly. My only real worry is when he is older his friend won't have had the same training. Still, we won't leave them unattended at home. My husband my never take his off his person anyway once he has his carry permit- lol. We are thinking about moving to Wyoming in a few years for the scenery, low-humidity, and natural attractions. If that happens, my son will probably grow up with others children knowledgeable about firearms, so this may actually keep him from being the ignorant friend.

Anyway, range shooting is fun. I think even people that don't want to own guns should learn about them. Range shooting is a great way!